At The Church of The Ascension in Rockville Centre we begin each Mass with the following words:
Hear what our Lord Jesus Christ saith: Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it:
Our Parish History
It was in 1885 when Sylvester Gildersleeve and Francis Wilson undertook the project of securing Episcopal services for the fledgling village of Rockville Centre. Having received permission from the Right Reverend Abraham N. Littlejohn, first Bishop of the Diocese of Long Island, the two gentlemen secured Institute Hall for use for Divine Worship, and furnished it with seats and an organ. Not only did Bishop Littlejohn approve this movement as a mission for the diocese, he also responded generously to an appeal by Mrs. Wilson, making it possible for the mission to secure furniture, prayer books and hymnals. Some of Mrs. Wilson's New York friends made sizable donations to enable the furnishing of the chancel.